Monday, March 22, 2010

Author Platform

Today, I’m over on The Blood-Red Pencil talking about Author Platforms. A lot of authors aren’t sure what an Author Platform is or that they need to have one. Ten, twenty years ago, most authors didn’t need one and, if you did, you were probably a nonfiction author. Today every author, fiction or nonfiction, needs to be aware of what a platform is and how to develop one - before you query or sign on with an agent.

I’m thinking about making this an ongoing, once a month, series over on The Blood-Red Pencil. I’ve started it today with an introduction to Author Platforms. I hope you’ll stop by and tell me what you think - and if you’d like to hear more. You’re also invited to give me your ideas.

See you there!
TweetIt from HubSpot

15 comments:

  1. I think it's an important topic and one that you could easily make into a series.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would make a very interesting series. It is a topic that seems to come up in conversation more and more often lately in writer circles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A topic more important now than ever, it seems. Especially with so many different ways to build one. I'm headed over ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have a lot of ideas Joanne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My book has been out for over a year now and I still struggle with this concept. I’m on my way to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a good post. I suppose for novelists, a platform could also be about branding ourselves. Look at Lady Gaga. Two or three years ago, no one knew who she was. Now, she's a pop-music phenomenon. Both her name and her choice of fashion as well as her music are her brand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll head over there and read! Thanks for posting about author platforms - you're the one who turned me on to this concept, and I've loved building mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I do this series, some of you are gonna have to give testimonials I can use as examples, with links back and credit, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always hated to read about platforms because I didn't have one and had no prospect of building one. But while reading your post on The Blood Red Pencil, I realized what mine is. Part of it, at least. So thank you. Now all I need is a really good manuscript.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Helen. I commented, well done.

    I've a link for you. I've noticed how you build good posts around other sources, and I thought you might be able to do something with this. I enjoyed it anyway.

    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jason-pinter/an-analog-industry-in-the_b_499817.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a good post, useful and informative. It tied into mine today, so I linked to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Simon. That was a very interesting post. I tweeted it. I may write about it here. Probably will have to be this weekend, since starting tomorrow, I have a guest blogger coming.

    Thanks very much for providing the link!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...