Thursday, February 02, 2012

Book Review: Raven

 Raven by Laura Eno is a sci-fi book (or, as Eno calls it on her blog – a Sci/Fi Space Opera). (I’m reading more and more science fiction lately – and liking it.) Raven is the captain of her own spaceship. She even has an implant that hooks her up to the ship’s navigational system. Other than her co-pilot, Ben, she’s pretty much a loner. That’s about to change though. She’s picking up a client, Mikael, for transport. She thinks it’ll be an easy job. But Mikael comes with a bit of baggage, and I don’t mean suitcases. ‘Course, Raven has her own past – at 19 she was sold at auction to be a breeder.

The three of them join forces to find the Oracles. They’re not the only ones looking, though.

Eno keeps the action going with enough pauses to let you catch your breath and for Raven and Mikael to develop their relationship.

All three of these main characters are interesting. I liked Raven because she’s something of a loner who realizes she needs to connect with someone. And she’s a strong person. Mikael is the person through whose eyes you get to see the ship and the empty space they travel through. Ben is interesting because he’s not human and may be the key to finding the Oracles.

The story moves quickly with action and questions. Raven and Mikael are attracted to each other, so there’s a bit of a love story included.

This is not the first book I’ve read by Laura Eno – and she hasn’t let me down yet.

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Smashwords

I give Raven a rating of Hel-of-a-Story.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FTC Disclaimer: Here’s my admission/disclaimer, folks: I’ve got to start writing things down. I can’t remember whether I paid for this book or downloaded it for free. I think I paid for it. But whether it was free or cost me money, I was not influenced to write a review on it, let alone a positive review. Some of you may notice that lately I’ve been reviewing more books than usual. That’s because I have an iPad. Never thought I’d say this, but I like reading on the iPad. It’s so easy. I get up in the morning before the sun wakes. I can sit in the dark living room and read by the light of my iPad. I can increase the font size, if I want. The iPad remembers the page where I left off. The iPad, I’m beginning to believe, is a cousin of Ben, Raven’s co-pilot. It just isn’t as animated or tall as Ben. And, like Ben, it’s not human. Or…is it?

13 comments:

  1. I have never been much into Sci Fi,but maybe I need to branch out this year. I think we will all eventually be going to e-readers,and enlarging fonts instead of wandering around with magnifying glasses like my grandmother did.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are converting you! Excellent.
    Laura will be happy with the review and the disclaimer rocks as usual. You hit all the reasons why I dig reading on my iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my I-Pad too, other than the glare! This may be the year I branch out too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you're reading more Sci-fi! And have fun with your iPad. We got one for Christmas. It's a great way to read a book.

    Thanks for the review of raven. I'm reading one of Laura's books. Prophecy Moon and liking it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, wow! What a happy surprise! :) I'm so glad you liked my gang and the next installment of their adventures will be out in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Kindle Fire and I love reading on it, too.

    Great review and disclaimer :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura, you not only write many books, you write many good books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm putting this book on my TBR pile. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm putting this book on my TBR pile. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello!
    I love reading on my iPad too, and I have several book apps on it along with its own.

    Regarding this book Raven, the story sounds interesting. I do love Scifi, especially when the characters are impelled by situations to re-think their perception of life and the universe.

    Thank you for talking about it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good on Laura for her book ... Helen, you're reading so much si-fi these days, I might run into you at a Star Trek convention.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christopher, if I could remember my Star Trek, I'd name a slinky, sexy character, but, alas, I can't. Except if I remember right, she was blue.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have Raven, but haven't gotten around to reading it yet. It is on my computer and my muscles start complaining after I set too long.
    I would love a Kindle Fire or Ipad, just can't afford them.

    It sure would make it easy to take my books back and forth to the hospital to read, (the laptop is a homebody and doesn't like to go anywhere.)

    Love the review...as usual.

    Pamela Jo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...