Thursday, June 23, 2011

Book Review: Zor

Zor, by J.B., is a story of two men who meet in a bar and discuss philosophy. In fact, the subtitle of the book is “Philosophy, Spirituality, and Science”. The protagonist in the story is John Brewster, but the man driving the story is Zor. Through their discussions, Brewster’s life is changed.

Here’s the back cover blurb:
Where do you turn when life’s basic tenets become suspect? Such is the dilemma confronting Jonathan Brewster, a middle aged money manager from Boston, after his “chance” meeting with the Haitian dwarf, Zor.
Forced into a series of intense debates regarding negative ch’i, emotional additions, neuron networks, placebos, vipassana meditation, the collective unconscious, laws of attraction, sub-atomic entanglement, Nietzsche, metta, God and happiness; John is reluctantly drawn to a new reality.
Rising above his crisis of conscience he restructures his life for the greater good, only to be challenged by the ultimate betrayal
If I had met Zor in a bar, I would have run the opposite direction. Not because he’s a dwarf. Because he talks philosophy and spirituality and science, stuff I haven’t pondered or debated since college. Having said that, it was interesting to be the third-party reading their debates and discussions. For the most part, I kept up.

Brewster has a life outside of the bar and Zor. He has a wife and a job, but it is those meetings in the bar that bring him to life. And it is Zor who makes him examine his life. These discussions take him to the brink of everything: his life, his marriage, his job.

 I give Zor a rating of Hel-of-a-Writer because J.B. has written an interesting, intriguing, and intense book.

Amazon
Kindle
B&N
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FTC Disclaimer: The author sent me Zor. (The book, not the Haitian dwarf.) That did not influence my review (getting the free book, not Zor - and when I say, Zor, I mean the dwarf, not the book). Okay, if this disclaimer makes sense to you, then you will understand the book and you should get a copy.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a facinating book. I do keep reading and studying philosophy, spirituality and how to work with one's mind, so...
    And as always - I love your disclaimers. They are an art form.
    Speaking of which - have you written any mermaid tales lately?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it doesn't speak too far over the readers' heads...a good thing! Interesting-sounding book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting concept for a book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way too deep for a shallow mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me of the movie "Foul Play" and the line "Beware of the dwarf!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, I love the disclaimer! Scary, but I kept up. ;)
    Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, I haven't written any mermaid tales lately. I'm going to have to go back and see what tales I've already told. Have I told how to picnic underwater? Hmm.

    Carol, don't think I've seen Foul Play.

    Karen, be afraid. It probably means you're as crazy as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might be with Christopher on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tell ya, Liza, it had been a long time since I'd read this kind of deep material. It stretched an already saggy mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very suitable read for a middle-aged woman like myself.

    Chemical Fusion

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great mix of ideas! Especially with someone like Zor as a guide! Brewster offers an unique way to explore these topics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely sounds intriguing. And books are good places to learn from those characters you'd run a mile from in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's the kind of stuff I enjoy discussing. Looks like it's a book for me >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...