Saturday, October 17, 2009

Book Review: Executive Power

I believe Executive Power is the fifth in Vince Flynn’s Mitch Rapp thriller series. Like the others in the series, this one is set primarily in the back-stabbing, too many chiefs, political world of Washington D.C. Rapp, “America’s Assassin,” is the odd man out in this world. He’s smart, committed, and what he wants is to kill the bad guys behind the scene before they kill Americans. Unfortunately for him, he’s been outed. Now, instead of dealing only with either the President or his handler at the CIA, he comes out of the cold and has to deal with politicians, most of whom wouldn’t mind seeing him put out of commission.

Lots of people are in danger in this book, from an American family kidnapped by terrorists in the Philippines to all the UN representatives in New York. They may not know it, but their lives are in Rapp’s hands as much as they are in the terrorists’. It seems like no matter where Rapp turns, somebody’s out to stop him. He can’t let that happen, though, or a lot of people will die. Plus, he has to deal with his new wife, a television reporter, who wants him out of the “business” and also wants to know the details of what he’s doing.

Like the others in this series, Executive Power is fast-paced and chock full of details and info on weaponry, helicopters, and Washington politics. If you like thrillers, want to feel like you know about the maneuverings that go on in DC, and like to read an author who knows all the details, then you’ll most likely like Executive Power by Vince Flynn.
TweetIt from HubSpot

12 comments:

  1. Helen, as you know, my husband has been "Box-ed." :-) I just picked up the second Pickett book for him and have been haunting the used bookstores for the others (I have a total of 5 now). I know the subject matter of this book/series you are reviewing and Pickett are worlds apart, but do you think, given how my husband took to Pickett, he would like these as well?

    Its probably hard to make that call...but curious what you think.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couple question for you, Helen. This sounds sorta Tom Clancyish. Would you say that’s a fair comparision? Clancy can get—for my taste anyway—way too deep into weaponry and techno stuff. And I’m a techno guy. That has a tendency to lose me, or make me skim forward. Any of that here?


    Best Regards, Galen

    Imagineering Fiction Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a good read, but one where I might have to pay a lot of attention? I might have to hold off on this one. Thanks for the review, though!

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lisa, the two are definitely different. I would describe Box as slow, character driven, and un-tech. Flynn's are fast-paced, action driven, and high tech. If your husband likes action and learning about secret branches of the government, terrorists cells, and the inner politics of politics, then he might like Flynn's.

    Galen, I admit I do skim over the technical stuff. I don't skip it totally, but I sort of speed read through it. Elizabeth, if you like action, but not the technical stuff, you could do that, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading your reviews of Flynn's books. Every time I go book shopping, I always pick one of his up. And put it back. So I've never read him. They always sound good at first, but something puts me off. I don't know what it is. Maybe next time I will try the first one and see for myself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're going to try one, I'd recommend the first, Transfer of Power. It's about terrorists attacking the White House and is very fast paced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When it coms to Washington thrillers, Absolute Power by David Balducci is the best. The movie with Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman sucked, but the book is one of the best I ever read. Thanks for the review.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  8. When it coms to Washington thrillers, Absolute Power by David Balducci is the best. The movie with Clint Eastwood and Gene Hackman sucked, but the book is one of the best I ever read. Thanks for the review.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Mitch Rapp series by Vince Flynn is one of my all-time favorites. As a political thriller, you definitely have to pay attention. Thanks for reviewing 'Executive Power'!

    If you haven't read it yet, I really think the first book by Flynn is one of the best, 'Term Limits', though Mitch takes a back seat in it.

    Personally, if I was in a dark alley with bad guys all around me, I'd want Mitch on my 6! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Liberty, I think that's what makes a good hero in thrillers - someone you would want to protect/help you if things went bad. Mitch fits that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep wondering how many hours are in your days, Helen. You surely must have than 24!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carol, this is why I would never make a professional reviewer. I feel like I should put a disclaimer: I may have liked/disliked this book, but that doesn't mean you will, too. I keep wondering when a friend will come back and say, Helen, what were you thinking?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...