Sunday, August 31, 2008

Book Review: The Shadow of Excalibur by Joan Upton Hall

The Shadow of Excalibur is the second in this futuristic suspense series by Joan Upton Hall. The Shadow of Excalibur is set in a post-plague world, where the new leader is the “reincarnation” of King Arthur. At the start of the book, years have passed since the plague but problems are not over. As in Camelot, everyday life in this new world has unexpected, sometimes horrific, turns and lives are tested to determine the true mettle.

One thing that bothered me about the book was a trial early in the story where things happened that felt contrived in order for the outcome to be such that the story could continue running a somewhat parallel course with the original King Arthur myth. That aside, I enjoyed the story and the characters. The plot is suspenseful with a lot of action and the characters are multi-dimensional. Hall brings in some fantasy-touched characters in the Truthers. The Truthers can read minds, which is an interesting twist when they’re used in court and when they are advisors to the King.

The farther I got in the book, the faster I read. I assume there will be another in the series, and I look forward to reading it. Hall has a unique idea in recreating the King Arthur story set in a modern, post-apocalyptic world.

The Shadow of Excalibur
Joan Upton Hall
Zumaya Otherworlds
2007
ISBN 13.978-1-934135-00-6

6 comments:

  1. "The farther I got in the book, the faster I read."

    that sounds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations for making it through the month with 31 straight posts.
    Lj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit, I don't read a lot of sci-fi, but this was interesting and I liked how Joan was using the King Arthur story as the skeleton for this "modern" tale.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you LJ -- and congrats to you (and Marvin) as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh, I love post apocalypse stories!!! This sounds right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the apocalypse happened in book 1. This one is set a few years after the great plague. I'm sure there's more to come!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...