Monday, January 14, 2008

Publishers Weekly Book Reviews

Last week, I posted about an article by the Austin American-Statesman book editor. If you’d like to find out more about exactly how books are chosen for review and the timeline for reviewing for a major publication, specifically Publishers Weekly, check out Rose Fox’s blog.

Start with her recent five-part post on how she chooses and handles books that come across her desk – and how she sometimes solicits books to be reviewed. Fox is the Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror Review Editor for PW. She used to do book reviews, but has now moved into editor position.
I should also note that I reviewed over 100 books for PW from 2002 to 2007, but now that I edit PW reviews, I no longer write them (though I still review for Strange Horizons, Lambda Book Report, and other publications). PW reviewers are anonymous, and we take that anonymity really seriously.

Now, if those posts catch your eye and you want to read more or bookmark her, check out her full blog. Her posts are interesting, often tidbits of her life as an editor. Some are funny, like:
Today's phrases that are not the same:
her man fans
her many fans
Boy, am I glad I caught that one before it went off for copyediting. I'd never have lived it down.

She also has some interesting posts about her freelance work, including how much she makes.
Writers depend on the help of other writers for survival. As a successful writer--and believe me, the idea that I am a successful writer never fails to shock me--I feel a pretty strong responsibility to the writing community, and especially to those who might need a leg up. And if someone reading this is making far more money at journalism than I am, I'd love to hear what they have to say, and pay it forward when I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...