Monday, July 16, 2007

A Maze of Books

Finished reading Atlantis yesterday. (Yeah, I’m back into my old habit of reading multiple books at once. This time it was Atlantis [finished], Evil Inc. [just started], The Bourne Ultimatum [about a third of the way through], Diary of a Radical Mermaid [finished two days ago], and The Vampire Lestat [only read a few pages and finding it hard to keep reading].)

If you like archaeology, you’ll like Atlantis. It’s got lots of archaeology history with a dose of suspense and action thrown in. On some of the action stuff, I had to suspend my disbelief a bit, but not on the archaeology. And, yes, I know it’s fiction. The difference was that all the archaeology fiction was based on reality and facts. The author is a renowned expert and I liked reading his Author Notes at the end.

My husband is now reading Atlantis. As soon as he’s through, I’ll give it to my son.

I used to read multiple books at once. I’d keep them stored around the house, in the car, or in my purse. Problem was, I’d find a book in the glove compartment or a drawer that I’d totally forgotten – that it was even there and what I’d read so far. Half-finished books would get dropped because I didn’t want to start over with them.

So, then, I went to reading only one book at a time. And that worked. But without even noticing, I’ve fallen off the wagon. Now, I’ve got multiple books going at once. But this time, I seem to be keeping them centralized in the living room. But that presents a problem in itself.

For example, I had Atlantis sitting on the coffee table. I was close to the end. My husband was leaving on a trip and needed something to read on the plane. So, being the loving wife that I am, I offered him Atlantis. Well, then he got into it and continued to read after he got home. So, then, I had to grab it whenever he wasn’t reading and I had time so I could finish it. Since he’s about two-thirds through with Atlantis, he bought Evil Inc. So I, of course, picked it up and started reading. You’ve probably already guessed what’s gonna happen next – he’s got another trip coming up this week and by that time, he’ll have finished Atlantis and will take Evil Inc. That’s okay, though, I’ve got The Bourne Ultimatum to return to.

See? It all works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...