Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Author Deborah Smith

I recently discovered a new author. Okay, she’s not exactly new since she’s a nationally best selling author with 35 novels to her name. But she was new to me. Her name is Deborah Smith. Pam at A Thirsty Mind (see yesterday’s post) recommended her.

I got two of her books, both in the Waterlillies Series. The first is called Alice at Heart and the second is Diary of a Radical Mermaid. After I bought the books, I discovered Smith lives in the Georgia town I did as a kid. Small world.

I’ve finished Alice at Heart. It was very different from what I expected, although I’m not exactly sure what I expected. It’s rather like a literary romance. I’ve not read Smith before so I can’t say that this is her style, but I was surprised at the flow of the plot, the elegance of the characters and the voice of the story. At first it was hard to get used to, but once I got into it, it was an easy read. Despite the fact that it had a romance story line, there were a couple of places that made me cry.

If you like a southern voice and setting, mermaid lore, a bit of fantasy and romance, you might like Alice at Heart.

I’ll read Diary of a Radical Mermaid next. I read the first page, expecting it to be a continuation of book one. Definitely not. This one is starting off as sort of a modern, sassy chick lit, mermaid style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...