Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Climax and Denouement

While sitting in the doctor’s waiting room this morning, I finished The Poet by Michael Connelly. Had a few problems with the ending, but I’ll try not to give it away here, in case there’s anyone left in the world who hasn’t read it.

I mentioned yesterday that the protagonist did something I considered stupid. Still think that. I know why the author had him do it, but that’s sort of the point. It felt like the author having him do it in order for something to happen a little later on. But it also felt out of character.

This action eventually led the protagonist down a path that also felt forced. There was no set up, no clues, left that would allow the reader to understand the protagonist’s conclusion, so, naturally, the protag/author had to lay it out for us. This led us down a wrong path. But that’s okay. It’s just that the correct path had never been set up or alluded to with any clues either.

I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy the book. I’m just saying the ending didn’t satisfy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...