Monday, January 01, 2007

Writing Resolutions

Happy New Year to everyone.

I’m assuming you’ve all made one or two resolutions for 2007. I did. I’m hoping to keep them longer than in years past.

The new year is a good time to make new plans, decide on different directions. It’s twelve unblemished months, a new calendar, a fresh chalkboard. Anything is possible. So, the thought is “why not?” and “I can do it.”

So, make those resolutions. Hopefully, at least one of them will involve books – either writing your own or reading those of other writers. But make resolutions that affect other parts of your life. There is life outside of writing. And everything in your life affects your writing.

I’m not quite ready to reveal my resolutions. That’s probably a bad thing. If no one knows them, then I don’t have to be accountable when I fail to keep them. On the other hand, maybe it’s a good thing. If I do forget to keep working toward them, then it’s easier to pick myself up and start over if no one knows I dropped the ball.

Either way, I have two. One I started on before New Year’s Day. One week and counting – so far, so good, so – yea! One I started making moves toward. It’s not something I can immediately begin, but I’ve taken the first step.

Whatever your resolutions, add this one – resolve to be happy and centered.

Happy New Year to everyone – those who’ve made comments, those who’ve sent me private emails and those who lurk and read. And don’t forget to eat some black-eyed peas today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...