Saturday, May 18, 2013

Fellowships for Writers



A few years ago, I was awarded a four-week fellowship at the Vermont Studio Center. It was an amazing experience. I spent four weeks writing and meeting other writers and artists. All it cost me was the plane ride to and from.

My routine was to wake up and go to breakfast. Then I'd take a walk around town or up a big hill to the college where I could get cell service. Then I went back to my room or writing office and wrote. Then I went to lunch, then wrote some more, then went to dinner.  After dinner, the writers would sometimes gather to meet with and hear from a visiting author.  Or we went to a town hall reading by authors or displays by artists. Or we could join the artists in the evenings. (Artists tended to do more fun stuff than writers -- like dancing around a bonfire.) Or we could tour the artists' working rooms and see their art work in progress.

It absolutely was a fabulous experience and I would go back at the drop of a hat. Last year, VSC awarded 193 fellowships to artists and writers from the U.S. and 20 other countries.

I still hear from VSC occasionally. Since I recently received an email about upcoming fellowships, I thought I'd share with all of you.  The deadline for these fellowships is only about a month away, so if you're interested, check out the website to learn what all you have to submit to apply.

Good luck!

Vermont Studio Center Fellowships for Artists and Writers 
Applications are due June 15, 2013

Grace Paley Fiction Fellowship
One fellowship open to all fiction writers, based entirely on merit and in honor of long-time VSC friend and visiting writer Grace Paley.

Sustainable Arts Foundation Fellowships
Two fellowships for artists and writers who are raising young children: one 4-week residency award that includes a $2,000 stipend to cover lost income, travel, child care, or other costs related to taking time away from the family and one 2-week residency fellowship with a $1,000 stipend.

Henry David Thoreau Fellowship
One John Fitzpatrick/Henry David Thoreau Fellowship will be awarded to a poet whose work engages the environment and embodies the life, work, and spirit of Thoreau. 

4 comments:

  1. Scientists are awarded scholarships and fellowships all the time. It's great that there's some money left for funding writers as well >:)

    Cold As Heaven

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. You made me laugh! Scientists get the big scholarships and fellowships because they know how to blow people up or make them sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat. Artists might look like they are having wackier fun, but then the writers enhance it with poetry or a chapter. The whole mix works.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...