Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Goodreads

Are you on Goodreads? It's another outlet for authors to promote their books. Not as big as Facebook or Twitter or the new giant, Pinterest, but it is becoming a favorite of both readers and writers.

The ReadWriteWeb site says Goodreads is "pushing 20 million unique visitors per month." Self-published writers are recognizing the importance of having a presence there. According to the article, "For those whose work centers around social media and writing, Goodreads can function as a universe all its own, and a place to quietly cultivate community. As with all types of social networks, those who engage more frequently generally tend to get more value out of the site itself."

According to the article, "35,000 self-promoting, social-networking authors have taken to Goodreads. The site currently has 8 million registered members who have written more than 13 million reviews and added more than 280 million books to their virtual shelves."

Eight million members and 13 million+ reviews is not something most writers would want to ignore.

Are you on Goodreads? If you're an author, are you there promoting your books and cultivating readers?

13 comments:

  1. I signed up on Goodreads in 2009 but was so confused by it at first that I didn't go back and learn my way around until the end of 2010. It's a great way to find readers who like your style, but like anything else, it's slow and steady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm on Goodreads and it's an easy way to find who is reading and reviewing your book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Goodreads but only as a reader. I don't do very much with it but I think it's a nice site and someday I hope to do more with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like you M.J. I'm on Goodreads and I post all my reviews there, but other than that, I'm lost. I need to figure out how to "friend" (or whatever it's called there) people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought Goodreads was only for reviewers so I've never even gone there. Must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on there, but not often. I update my profile and books from time to time. I know some authors who have used their giveaway feature very successfully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Elizabeth. I'd heard only a little about their giveaway feature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1 of 35,000, eh? Well, I guess that's better odds than the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm on Goodreads but rarely look at it or use it. There's just too much to keep up with . . . .
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got a point, Christopher.

    I so agree with you, Ann! And it seems like very month there's something new that simply MUST be added to your to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is convicting. With just the few groups I'm a member of there, I receive several invites to this event or that every day, but I had no idea the numbers were quite that large. Maybe I should be more active there, eh? Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels lost on Goodreads. I signed up long ago, and tried to add books I've read. It seemed to be a lot more effort than I was willing to put in. I do get notices about Laura (hi Laura) from them now and then and pop over to see what she's up to, but that's about it.
    ~jon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jon! You get notices about me? I don't get notices about me... I hope they're nice ones. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...