Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Texas Book Festival

Over the last few weeks, I’ve been introducing you to some of the artists and photographers who will be speaking at the Austin Museum of Art during the Texas Book Festival this weekend. I’d love to introduce you to all the authors coming to this year’s TBF, but there are about 200, so I’m sticking to the ones who will be appearing at the venue that I chair - the Austin Museum of Art. You can check out the website to see the entire list of authors and the schedule to see where and when they’ll be appearing.

Today, let me introduce two books:

First off, Collage by Lance Letscher. Letsher takes paper and transforms it into art. His art pieces vary from small pieces on paper to huge elaborate constructions. This book contains not only 118 examples of his pieces, but an introduction by Charles Dee Mitchell to Letshcer’s work and influences.

If you get a chance to look at Collage (or buy it and have him sign it), be sure you look at the inside of the cover. It’s a peek at how he works.

Lance Letscher will speak at the Austin Museum of Art on Sunday, November 1, from 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.

Next, even if you’re not a Texan, you’ll like thumbing through Ranch Gates of the Southwest. Photographers Daniel M. Olsen and Henk Van Assen show off more than 225 color photographs of ranch gates. In case you’re wondering, ranch gates are just what you might have guessed - the gates leading into ranches. Some gates are interesting all by themselves. Some are included because of the amazing vistas they lead to. Some are old; some are modern. They’re all fascinating.

I checked to see if my uncle’s was included. It wasn’t. His would have fit in with the others, though. His ranch is called The Lazy TP - the gate features a teepee sitting in a rocking chair drinking a mug of beer. Maybe in the next book.

Daniel M. Olsen and Henk Van Assen will speak at the Austin Museum of Art on Sunday, November 1, from 3:30 to 4:40 p.m.

If you come, be sure to say “hi” to me. I’ll be there all weekend.
TweetIt from HubSpot

12 comments:

  1. Hi Helen - just a quick question. Does Larry McMurtry attend this shindig? If he does, will you say hi to him from a Canadian fan. He is the one that makes me want to wander around Texas in a pickup playing loud music and sipping whiskey. Yes he does! I realize I can check to see if he comes as an author but he also owns a antiquarian book store I understand. At any rate have a swell time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea behind the two books you brought up. Had no idea about the ranch gate thing....sounds really cool.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book festival - wish I could be there. I'm intrigued by the ranch gates. I bet if they would have seen your uncle's gate it would have made their book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jan, I believe McMurtry has attended, but as far as I know he's not coming this year. He does present a colorful picture of Texans, doesn't he?

    I like my uncle's gate, but his ranch is pretty small by Texas standards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely like the sounds of the Ranch Gate book. From what I've seen photographing doorways from my blog, I can just imagine the amazing stories, and art, those ranch gates hold. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I like the sound of Al's gate. It's so personal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the idea of Ranch Gates of the Southwest, it reminds me of the poster of doors everyone had hanging on their walls in University.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these books sound wonderful, Helen. And being a frustrated rancher I especially like the one about the ranch gates. When we bought our little place here in East Texas I asked my husband if we could put one up. He laughed. There are ranches and then there are RANCHES. Ours does not qualify.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maryann, if it's larger than 2 acres, put up a gate & call it a ranch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I could be there, Helen. Family calls, however.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be there the whole two days too, in booth 211 (Sisters in Crime booth) Come by and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everybody, go see Sylvia. The Sisters in Crime booth will be having authors sign there, so be sure to check their schedule and stop to pick up a book or two or five. Memorize that number -- Booth 211.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...