Monday, March 26, 2007

Synopsis Workshop

I’m back in Austin after driving up to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area to lead a workshop at the North Texas Professional Writers’ Association’s mini-conference. Had a great time.

Friday afternoon started off with Doris Lakey, president of the NTPWA, taking me to see her office. Via email, she had been describing it to me. I was anxious to see if it lived up to what I envisioned in my mind. It did. Big room, lots of windows for light, ample flat desk space, storage galore, and personalized with all kinds of pictures and mementos.

Later, the NTPWA Board took me out to dinner. It was an opportunity to sit and talk and get to know each other. The NTPWA is a group focused on their work and careers. You have to apply to join. And judging by everyone I met at dinner and at the conference, a great group of writers.

Saturday morning I was first on the line-up. Had a full room of writers, from beginners to multi-published authors. All of them with great questions and a few with really wild imaginations. Everyone was eager to participate. My topic was The Synopsis: Four Steps to the Ultimate SALES Tool. We discussed the basics of writing a synopsis, took time to do some work on synopses, then moved into ways to use the synopsis to promote and sell your manuscript.

I had two and a half hours, but this could be a full day workshop, easy. The time goes by quickly, especially with such a fun topic. And everybody knows what fun writing a synopsis can be! If you don’t, then come the next time I teach this workshop – in May for the Brazos Writers in College Station.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...