Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Deja Vu Reading

How many of you have favorite books you re-read many times? Maybe a childhood favorite that every few years you drag off the shelf and read again. Maybe a new book that was so different and interesting, you revisit it to make sure you didn’t miss any fabulous tidbits or ideas.

My husband will do that with movies. I might watch a movie at the theatre and later rent the DVD to watch. My husband likes to buy DVDs so he can watch movies over and over. He’ll pick something like The Bourne Identity and watch it, then watch it again a month or so later and then … again and again. I can’t do that. About the only movie I can tolerate more than perhaps twice is Jumping Jack Flash, my favorite, although I haven’t seen that in years.

My daughter gave my husband, for Christmas, a full season of the TV show 24. Dave is a huge fan of that show. He watches it every week and if he’s out of town, I have to tape it for him. He’s seen them all. But that didn’t stop him from beginning a 24 marathon the day after Christmas. Aaakkk.

We’re not even on the same wavelength when it comes to some TV shows. He likes 24, obviously. I like Boston Legal. But, oddly, we tend to like the same books. We’re both into Lee Child and are working our way through the series.

I don’t see myself re-reading the Child books, but lately I’ve been thinking about re-reading The Time Traveler’s Wife. I want to study the structure or skeleton of the book.

Honestly, I don’t re-read many books. When I do it’s usually because I want to study something about the writing or once or twice because the movie was coming out and I wanted to review the plot. I’m usually ready to move on to something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...