Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Young Adult Readers

If you’re a writer of Young Adult fiction, you want to know how to create buzz. If you’re a reader of YA, then you want to know what’s hot. In either case, you should know about a group of teen critiquers started by the Young Adult Library Services Association. The group in Bethesda are sent ARCs to read…and review. And they do so with honesty.

For example, one young girl read Fire Will Fail:
That one was so, so, so, so good," she said. "I read it three times.
Another girl read Invincible Summer and said:
Hard to read and even harder to finish.
She then rated it a 1 out of 5.

The girls not only review the book, but often the covers.

This group of readers have more power than just rating and reviewing books. Their opinions count when it comes to choosing the best teen books of the year.

If you want to read more about this group, head over to The Washington Post.

16 comments:

  1. What a great program. Important for both the kids and the authors. Fine if adults critique you YA novel but really important feedback comes from the reader you are writing to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best criticism, I suppose, comes from the audience a piece will serve. This is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great program that benefits everyone.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Helen .. interesting they've got the kids involved, but logical if the reads are for them .. good feedback too ..

    Thanks - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it only makes sense to have the target audience review the book. It's great to know so many young people love books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For writers, the question becomes how do I get my book into their hands?

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can I get them to review my newest release? They can find information about it by visiting my blog and my website. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David, the article says publishers send them ARCs to review. You probably should read the article and contact either the group directly or the group that started them: Young Adult Library Services Association, a division of the American Library Association.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool - I hadn't heard of this group - I'll have to check it out - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think this is great--it's true that teen readers seem very HEAVILY influenced by the buzz. My own teen reads almost nothing until several friends have pestered her into it. So very cool to see what response will be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If anyone gets their book read by the group, come back and tell us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so great. I really like the idea of getting teen readers to rate books. Now I just have to get the nerve to send them my YA novel. Not sure I'm ready for brutal honesty. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome link, Helen!! Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...