Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Websites

I’m going to be posting on Stephen Tremp’s blog, Breakthrough Blogs, late tonight through Thursday. I’m talking about websites and I hope you’ll stop by to talk about your website, how you set it up (or had it set up) and what works for you.

I’m not an expert on websites, but have created and maintained mine for years. At one point, I even slashed it from many pages to around 10 or 15. I also created a website for a friend, and I created and maintain the website for a company I’m co-partner in.

Each page on my site has purpose, and I’ll be talking a bit about that idea. I think authors need to have a website, either a standalone like I have, or one connected to your blog. I like the standalone idea so that you can have as many pages as you want or need.

Having a website (and a blog and a Facebook, etc.) is a way of getting your name out to the public. It’s also a way of creating your platform.

So zip over to Stephen Tremp’s blog late today, tomorrow or Thursday and share your thoughts about websites and the kind of pages you have on your own website.

14 comments:

  1. I thought about having a website but if I really wanted to I could buy a domain for my blog, and it seems a lot easier to update a blog than a website.

    How much traffic does your blog get vs your website, Helen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a website... I am only just getting the hang of this blogging malarky!! I think I am a few years too late with all technology!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will do! I have two websites, one for my speaking and one for my series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds divine! I never know whether to get a web site or stick with the blog and like Anton worry about the updating factor. So, I look forward to enlightenment. In my time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good series, Helen! I'll pop by.

    I was cussing like crazy for 1 1/2 hours over my website yesterday. Finally SORT of got it updated. I hate those templates that don't let you move things around easily...

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a very relevant topic, particularly in this age of building a digital platform.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking forward to it. I have wonder about websites and now I can get some answers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyday updating is pretty easy. It's when I decide to do a major overhaul, which I need to do on the Legends site, that I sometimes encounter blinding headaches. Luckily, that all goes on behind the scenes and you don't see it online.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll follow along! So far all I've done is a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've got the blog that I wish were more flexible, and my business website, for which I use an outside resource when I want to make a change. Wish I had a bit more control...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Liza, I use Dreamweaver to build and maintain my site. It's complicated, if you want to use all the wizigigs, which I don't. On the other hand, it's simple if you use the compose side when you don't know much code, which I do use. It's also very expensive. My copy is waaaaay old. I got it with a student discount.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been working on establishing my online presence, and so far I have a blog, a Facebook fan page, and a Twitter account. Website is next. I'll definitely stop at Stephen's blog and read what you have to say. Thanks for posting the info out there for us to learn from!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I stopped by Stephen's blog and enjoyed your post. Since I've never read your blog, it was an added plus that I now have the link to your blog. You have included information important to all writers here. I'll be stopping by again, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I look forward to getting to know you, Penny.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...